Monday, June 20, 2011

from Shroud of the Gnome

AT THE DAYS END MOTEL

I turned on the waterworks and said
"Well you don't need to make a federal case out of it."
But she did and I suppose she needed to.
Let's get out of this hellhole, I said.
That's a nice dog and pony show you have there, she
       said.
Be my guest, I said.
You're really chewing up the scenery tonight, she said.
And you, you're a predatory woman, one of easy morals,
     cheap and tawdry.
Hey listen schmendrick, at least I'm not an inept
     nonentity.
Aw, Cupcake, don't let's get cruel now, I can't help for
       stains on the wallpaper, okay?
You're like a rabbit responding very rapidly to food.
I confess, in a crutch and toothpick parade
      I would never single you out.

Down the road, about a quarter of a mile, a tractor trailer
     jackknifed and took a station wagon and a minibus
     with it straight to hell where they had some
     remarkably good carrot cake.
A jackal-headed god of the underworld
      joined them at their table
      and was surprisingly convivial.


(JAMES TATE)

No comments:

Post a Comment